Wow, it’s been awhile since I wrote an article. But today I must.
In March, Kaz Design Works is publishing a new pocket-book sized magazine that will be distributed throughout Waterloo Region, Wellington County and surrounding areas, as well as available to read online, 24/7 365 days a year, as a flip book and hi-res PDF.
The magazine’s main goal is to support local business women, female entrepreneurs and women moving into a new career.
Choosing the right name
Inspired by the women’s networking group, POWE, which I am a member of, I had initially decided on the name Powerful Women with the tagline “Ignite your Passion for Success” and feedback has been very positive. However, last week I wondered if the word “powerful” was a bit too strong.
Should I go with Successful Women instead, or perhaps use the singular, Powerful Woman or Successful Woman. Then a friend suggested Phenomenal Women (now I think for copyright purposes I should steer clear of that one!)
I’ve been mulling over different names with the word Woman or Women in, as well as various acronyms. And the names are either already in use elsewhere or do not seem to fit the magazine’s goals. I’ve done a couple of mini-surveys, with mixed results.
Web poll for the name
Then someone suggested I do a poll on my blog. So, I’ve outlined below the magazine’s goals, the target audience and their wants and needs.
If you fit our target audience (or even if you don’t) and have a few moments to spare, please read below and give me some feedback on the name by taking part in the web poll. Suggestions for the name are also welcomed.
The magazine’s goal:
to support local small to medium sized businesses and their female owners or operators by providing a medium in which they can:
- Advertise their products and services to their target audience
- Share and demonstrate their knowledge and expertise
- Share their experiences on their journey to success
- Learn from other local experts and business owners or operators
The magazine’s main audience:
female and will fall into the following categories:
- They own or operate a small to medium sized business
- They are starting or have a relatively new business
- They are considering owning their own company
- They have started, changed or moved into a new career
- They are considering a new or change of career
- Entrepreneurs who need to realize their potential
- Students considering their career options
The audience will be interested in topics that help them:
- Understand the ins and outs of starting and operating a business
- Manage and organize their time, finances, work and team
- Brand and market themselves as well as their company
- Juggle their personal, family and business life
- Balance a healthy lifestyle with running a business
- Deal with stresses, strains and pressures of business
- Overcome obstacles, challenges and set-backs
- Learn how to share their knowledge, expertise & experiences
- Plan and prepare for their immediate and long-term future
- Become successful and realize their dreams
The magazine will also feature:
- Successful Business Women
- Women who’ve made a difference in the community
- Women with a story of survivor to success to tell